This page has moved to a new address.

The Album of Christmas Pasts

----------------------------------------------- Blogger Template Style Name: Rounders 3 Designer: Douglas Bowman URL: www.stopdesign.com Date: 27 Feb 2004 ----------------------------------------------- */ body { background:#123; margin:0; padding:20px 10px; text-align:center; font:x-small/1.5em "Trebuchet MS",Verdana,Arial,Sans-serif; color:#ccc; font-size/* */:/**/small; font-size: /**/small; } /* Page Structure ----------------------------------------------- */ /* The images which help create rounded corners depend on the following widths and measurements. If you want to change these measurements, the images will also need to change. */ @media all { #content { width:740px; margin:0 auto; text-align:left; } #main { width:485px; float:left; background:#eec url("http://www.blogblog.com/rounders3/corners_main_bot.gif") no-repeat left bottom; margin:15px 0 0; padding:0 0 10px; color:#333; font-size:97%; line-height:1.5em; } #main2 { float:left; width:100%; background:url("http://www.blogblog.com/rounders3/corners_main_top.gif") no-repeat left top; padding:10px 0 0; } #sidebar { width:240px; float:right; margin:15px 0 0; font-size:97%; line-height:1.5em; } } @media handheld { #content { width:90%; } #main { width:100%; float:none; background:#eec; } #main2 { float:none; width:100%; background:none; } #sidebar { width:100%; float:none; } } /* Links ----------------------------------------------- */ a:link { color:#9db; } a:visited { color:#798; } a:hover { color:#fff; } a img { border-width:0; } #main a:link { color:#347; } #main a:visited { color:#666; } #main a:hover { color:#68a } /* Blog Header ----------------------------------------------- */ @media all { #header { background:#357 url("http://www.blogblog.com/rounders3/corners_cap_bot.gif") no-repeat left bottom; margin:0 0 0; padding:0 0 8px; color:#fff; } #header div { background:url("http://www.blogblog.com/rounders3/corners_cap_top.gif") no-repeat left top; padding:8px 15px 0; } } @media handheld { #header { background:#357; } #header div { background:none; } } #blog-title { margin:0; padding:10px 30px 5px; font-size:200%; line-height:1.2em; } #blog-title a { text-decoration:none; color:#fff; } #description { margin:0; padding:5px 30px 10px; font-size:94%; line-height:1.5em; color:#abc; } /* Posts ----------------------------------------------- */ .date-header { margin:0 28px 0 43px; font-size:85%; line-height:2em; text-transform:uppercase; letter-spacing:.2em; color:#586; } .post { margin:.3em 0 25px; padding:0 13px; border:1px dotted #bb9; border-width:1px 0; } .post-title { margin:0; font-size:135%; line-height:1.5em; background:url("http://www.blogblog.com/rounders3/icon_arrow.gif") no-repeat 10px .5em; display:block; border:1px dotted #bb9; border-width:0 1px 1px; padding:2px 14px 2px 29px; color:#333; } #main a.title-link, .post-title strong { text-decoration:none; display:block; } #main a.title-link:hover { background-color:#fff; color:#000; } .post-body { border:1px dotted #bb9; border-width:0 1px 1px; border-bottom-color:#eec; padding:10px 14px 1px 29px; } html>body .post-body { border-bottom-width:0; } .post p { margin:0 0 .75em; } p.post-footer { background:#fff; margin:0; padding:2px 14px 2px 29px; border:1px dotted #bb9; border-bottom:1px solid #eee; font-size:100%; line-height:1.5em; color:#666; text-align:right; } html>body p.post-footer { border-bottom-color:transparent; } p.post-footer em { display:block; float:left; text-align:left; font-style:normal; } a.comment-link { /* IE5.0/Win doesn't apply padding to inline elements, so we hide these two declarations from it */ background/* */:/**/url("http://www.blogblog.com/rounders3/icon_comment.gif") no-repeat 0 45%; padding-left:14px; } html>body a.comment-link { /* Respecified, for IE5/Mac's benefit */ background:url("http://www.blogblog.com/rounders3/icon_comment.gif") no-repeat 0 45%; padding-left:14px; } .post img { margin:0 0 5px 0; padding:4px; border:1px solid #586; } blockquote { margin:.75em 0; border:1px dotted #596; border-width:1px 0; padding:5px 15px; } .post blockquote p { margin:.5em 0; } /* Comments ----------------------------------------------- */ #comments { margin:-25px 13px 0; border:1px dotted #6a7; border-width:0 1px 1px; padding:20px 0 15px 0; } #comments h4 { margin:0 0 10px; padding:0 14px 2px 29px; border-bottom:1px dotted #6a7; font-size:120%; line-height:1.4em; color:#333; } #comments-block { margin:0 15px 0 9px; } .comment-data { background:url("http://www.blogblog.com/rounders3/icon_comment.gif") no-repeat 2px .3em; margin:.5em 0; padding:0 0 0 20px; color:#666; } .comment-poster { font-weight:bold; } .comment-body { margin:0 0 1.25em; padding:0 0 0 20px; } .comment-body p { margin:0 0 .5em; } .comment-timestamp { margin:0 0 .5em; padding:0 0 .75em 20px; color:#fff; } .comment-timestamp a:link { color:#fff; } .deleted-comment { font-style:italic; color:gray; } .paging-control-container { float: right; margin: 0px 6px 0px 0px; font-size: 80%; } .unneeded-paging-control { visibility: hidden; } /* Profile ----------------------------------------------- */ @media all { #profile-container { background:#586 url("http://www.blogblog.com/rounders3/corners_prof_bot.gif") no-repeat left bottom; margin:0 0 15px; padding:0 0 10px; color:#fff; } #profile-container h2 { background:url("http://www.blogblog.com/rounders3/corners_prof_top.gif") no-repeat left top; padding:10px 15px .2em; margin:0; border-width:0; font-size:115%; line-height:1.5em; color:#fff; } } @media handheld { #profile-container { background:#586; } #profile-container h2 { background:none; } } .profile-datablock { margin:0 15px .5em; border-top:1px dotted #7a8; padding-top:8px; } .profile-img {display:inline;} .profile-img img { float:left; margin:0 10px 5px 0; border:4px solid #bec; } .profile-data strong { display:block; } #profile-container p { margin:0 15px .5em; } #profile-container .profile-textblock { clear:left; } #profile-container a { color:#fff; } .profile-link a { background:url("http://www.blogblog.com/rounders3/icon_profile.gif") no-repeat 0 .1em; padding-left:15px; font-weight:bold; } ul.profile-datablock { list-style-type:none; } /* Sidebar Boxes ----------------------------------------------- */ @media all { .box { background:#234 url("http://www.blogblog.com/rounders3/corners_side_top.gif") no-repeat left top; margin:0 0 15px; padding:10px 0 0; color:#abc; } .box2 { background:url("http://www.blogblog.com/rounders3/corners_side_bot.gif") no-repeat left bottom; padding:0 13px 8px; } } @media handheld { .box { background:#234; } .box2 { background:none; } } .sidebar-title { margin:0; padding:0 0 .2em; border-bottom:1px dotted #456; font-size:115%; line-height:1.5em; color:#abc; } .box ul { margin:.5em 0 1.25em; padding:0 0px; list-style:none; } .box ul li { background:url("http://www.blogblog.com/rounders3/icon_arrow_sm.gif") no-repeat 2px .25em; margin:0; padding:0 0 3px 16px; margin-bottom:3px; border-bottom:1px dotted #345; line-height:1.4em; } .box p { margin:0 0 .6em; } /* Footer ----------------------------------------------- */ #footer { clear:both; margin:0; padding:15px 0 0; } @media all { #footer div { background:#357 url("http://www.blogblog.com/rounders3/corners_cap_top.gif") no-repeat left top; padding:8px 0 0; color:#fff; } #footer div div { background:url("http://www.blogblog.com/rounders3/corners_cap_bot.gif") no-repeat left bottom; padding:0 15px 8px; } } @media handheld { #footer div { background:#357; } #footer div div { background:none; } } #footer hr {display:none;} #footer p {margin:0;} #footer a {color:#fff;} /* Feeds ----------------------------------------------- */ #blogfeeds { } #postfeeds { padding:0 15px 0; }

Wednesday, November 28, 2012

The Album of Christmas Pasts

A few years ago, my mother-in-law told me about a scrapbook she'd seen for sale.  It was a Christmas album, and it was set up so that each Christmas, you would complete a new page, answering the same questions and adding a picture each year.

I thought, "Well, I could make one of those," and then of course, never actually made one.  But this year, I finally got my act together (all it took was realizing that I couldn't even remember what we gave Jack for his first Christmas to light a fire under me and get me started - I can't cook, I don't like to clean, and I'm not always nice, but by golly am I on top of it when it comes to recording memories) and made my Christmas album.


I am going to share with you what I did because GOSH DARN IT, it's cute.  Also, I think it's a great way to record those little memories that so easily slip away.

After Jack was born, I pretty much stopped scrapbooking (by "pretty much," I really mean "completely").  Scrapbooking takes a lot of time.  And money.  And time.

I did, however, hold onto a couple of empty albums, and this little blue one was just begging me to fill it with Christmas memories (mostly because it's small - 5x7 - and seemed much more manageable than the 12x12 beast I originally intended on using).

My scrapbooking style, in one word, is imperfect.  Crooked lines, hand-written fonts, and lots of paper make up the pages of my albums - and I'm okay with this.  In fact, I've even embraced it.  So, as you browse these pages, know that I know that they're really not all that great.  I am going to share them so you can get the idea of how it's all going to pan out over the years.


I used stickers (on sale at Michael's) to write out "Our Christmas Story" on the front cover.  Mostly, because this is, indeed, our Christmas story - and also because we love to watch A Christmas Story each year.  

I wanted the book to feel like "us" when we open it, so I quoted Burl Ives' "Holly Jolly Christmas" inside the cover (I love that song, and always have - it reminds of Christmas growing up and I hope it will bring fond memories to my children, as well).   On the right, I put a picture of Jack at his first Christmas  in 2008.  I'll add a picture of the kids together in the middle column this year, and then another of them together five years down the road.

An interesting side note - the vellum I stuck the "Lindsey" stickers to was originally purchased for our wedding invitations way back in 2000 - we made our own invites to save money, but it turned out the vellum was SO EXPENSIVE!  We were totally broke at the time but bought it anyway.  I ended up buying *way* too much and to this day have several pieces left that I occasionally stick into an album or use for a random craft.  So, I guess it was worth it?
I came up with a few topics to record each year, and made a page just for journaling (see below).  Then, I found a family picture of us in 2008 and stuck that on the other page.  

The journaling topics/prompts I used are: year, what we did, favorite gifts, about this photo, and memories.  I wanted it to be simple - rather than a detailed biopic of each family Christmas, I was hoping to capture key words and little memories that we could reminisce over down the road (and, I can't remember much from the past few years and as a result was lacking content, so there's that...).

Other topics might be: what we ate, who we celebrated with, favorite activities, who got the drunkest...things that are suitable for your family, whatever they might be!

I was so tired when we took this picture.  Jack was three weeks old and this was the first time I'd put on makeup or straightened my hair since he was born.  I am so glad I have this photo, though...it's one of the first pictures I have of the three of us together!
Each year, I just repeated the topics and jotted down a few memories to go with each one.  Unfortunately, I don't have a family picture from each Christmas...and that's another reason I'm grateful I finally got around to making this book.  You can bet I'll make us all take a family picture this year so I will have it for the scrapbook!


Turns out, I was able to dredge up a few memories as I was filling this out - for example, I am newly pregnant in the picture below, and wearing the same maternity sweater I was wearing at our first Christmas with Jack!


Last year, I was so lame I hardly even have pictures of the kids AT ALL on Christmas, let alone one of them together.  So, I used this one with Santa instead (which, technically, was taken just a couple of days before Christmas anyway).


I'm glad I finally got around to putting this album together.  Jack has had fun looking at it, and my hope is that it will be a cherished heirloom years down the road.  But, then again, I'm pretty sure my mother-in-law had the same thought about the punch bowl she painstakingly saved and used at special family gatherings over the past 40 years with hopes of passing it along to her grandchildren only to find a $20 price tag on it when Charles and I tried to sell it in our garage sale one year.  So, I won't hold my breath.  

But, I will plug away and keep at it until it's bursting at the seams with years of Christmas memories and love.  

Do you do anything special to record your favorite holiday memories?






Labels: , ,

5 Comments:

At November 29, 2012 at 9:11 AM , Blogger one sparrow said...

This comment has been removed by the author.

 
At November 29, 2012 at 9:12 AM , Anonymous Jesika said...

This is such a great idea!And, I LOVE the picture of you guys with Jack on his second Christmas (2010). There is much love and pride beaming from it (and, ohmygosh, he's so cute!). : )

 
At November 29, 2012 at 1:32 PM , Blogger Carrie said...

I love that picture, too! Also, I think that age was my favorite age so far...he was so squishy and sweet!

 
At December 4, 2012 at 7:16 AM , Anonymous trisha said...

That is such a great idea! When my daughter was little I was all over scrapbooking things but with my son, its like I never find the "time". Thanks for the reminder!

trisha

 
At December 4, 2012 at 10:32 AM , Blogger Carrie said...

Yeah, it is time consuming. As soon as I started working on this book I remembered how much I miss scrapbooking. I make a lot of photo books online but there's something very satisfying about piecing it all together myself.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home